This post is over 30 days old. The position may no longer be available
Important! Please use this form to submit your application! https://airtable.com/shr3FRy8Z1pgIh7yj
Hello! Obvious is a digital product-strategy consultancy, based in Bangalore. We do deep work that moves business metrics for a range of household-name organisations in India and beyond. We're the first people that founders of technology unicorns get in touch with when they want to reimagine how they do mobile engineering, launch a completely new business for their billion dollar e-commerce company, scale their hyper-local logistics company or launch a service that builds a new category entirely.
Our Android engineering:
We’re a small team that focuses on the big things, punching way above our weight. Our craft is important to us, and we hone it and utilise it in the context of our work. We invest in ourselves and care about each other — a great team is multiplicative and not additive!
To this end, we maintain a playbook of our lore and practices. We’re product engineers and not just software engineers. We understand that great software is only a small part of value-creation. We work with our designers, often in the same room, to rapidly iterate and validate our assumptions.
We believe in the DevOps movement, and imbibe the principles in all our work -- yes, even Android engineering! We review code with care and guidance, not as an afterthought, but every day as part of our workflow. We regularly share our work and learnings, and engage with the community.
What we expect:
- 2-4 years of Android development experience.
- Worked on multiple apps, or across different components of a large app.
- Bonus points if...
- Familiar with Kotlin and associated libraries.
- Has worked with RxJava; understands the core operators and ideas behind FRP.
- Has worked with DI systems like Dagger.
- Owns small features, starting from technical design through completion; coordinates with other senior engineer(s).
- Appreciates and participates in technical discussions, and values guidance and feedback.
- Does not need mentoring on a daily basis; makes steady progress by themselves, and knows when to ask for help to get unblocked.
- Comfortable with referencing technical specifications, API references, source code, and man pages to understand concepts or solve issues.
- Uses a debugger, when required, to step through code to fix logical errors.
- Understands the role and importance of design -- including consistency, conventions, and human interface guidelines.
- Familiar with the Material design language and controls; knows when to use which control, and knows how to implement them in code.
- Understands the value of peer-reviewed code; learns how to be unbiased and provide effective feedback.
- Asks senior engineers for help when needed (e.g.: architecture decisions, refactoring).
- Recognises the role of a build system, and how to use templates to setup new projects.
- Works with existing build systems to add dependencies and make minor changes.
We're a people-first company, and our policies reflect that. For a full description of our current benefits, read the Benefits section of our Playbook. In addition to the things that are described in our playbook, we are also proud of:
- Our craft-first approach.
- Our strong focus on using empathy and collaboration as a means to find the right solutions.
- A diverse environment that supports people from under-represented groups to grow and thrive.
- Our ability to do all of this while maintaining balanced work hours!
Here's a short summary of the benefits that we offer:
- Paid time off - 25-30 days every year
- Paid parental leave of 3-6 months
- Healthcare: (medical and accidental insurance) even for your family
- An emotional well-being budget
- Support to speak at conferences/industry events
- A budget for continuing education
- Matching contributions to charity
Apply for this position
Login with Google or GitHub to see instructions on how to apply. Your identity will not be revealed to the employer.
It is NOT OK for recruiters, HR consultants, and other intermediaries to contact this employer